- Application Deadline: 07/31/2020
- Company: Buckle
- Location: Okemos, Michigan
The Sales and Management Intern position’s primary responsibility is to fulfill our mission statement, “to create the most enjoyable shopping experience possible for our Guests.” Additionally, Sales and Management Interns perform a variety of sales, merchandising and operational tasks assigned by store management (e.g. cashiering, merchandise display and pulls, register procedures, and routine cleaning of facilities). Work closely with the Store Manager to develop an understanding of how Buckle’s retail business works and what it takes to excel in management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This description intends to describe the general nature and level of work performed by Teammates assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Sales Generation and Guest Service
- Greet Guests with a friendly, engaging attitude, and is consistently prepared to provide legendary service to each Guest
- Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise
- Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on Guest needs and desires
- Anticipate and fulfill Guest’s needs by suggesting additional items and creating a wardrobing experience
- Demonstrate product utilizing product knowledge and sales education, consistently sharing that knowledge and education with Team
- Maintain and share knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices
- Achieve personal sales-per-hour, average sales and total net sales goals set by Store Management
- Provide legendary service throughout the store in these top four areas: Front 5, sales floor, fitting rooms, and the register area
- Help Guests try on or fit merchandise
- Check out and bag purchases
- Prepare merchandise for alterations
- Knowledgeable of all exchange and return procedures for Guests
- Fill out and effectively use the Sales Presentation Guide (SPG) daily to accomplish goals
- Meets or above performance standards in all Buckle business builders and guest loyalty including fit appointments, Buckle credit card and guest connect.
- Place Special Orders or call other stores to find desired merchandise
- Maintain and build good Guest relationships to develop a client based business
- Develop and maintain knowledge of Buckle’s customer service expectations in order to meet the needs of every Guest
- Consistently maintain high standards, whether or not the Manager is present
Teammate Recruiting, Training and Development
- Consistently recognize recruiting opportunities by utilizing Jobs & Careers cards, email referrals and Teammate Recommend
- Maintain a positive attitude at all times creating a positive floor culture
Visual Merchandise Management
- Present merchandise in a manner that will maximize sales and achieve optimum merchandise turn
- Stay current on product range
- Work with other Teammates and Guests to identify product improvements, new product ideas and new product feedback
- Ensure sales floor is consistently sized and new freight is appropriately displayed
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which may include mornings, evenings, and weekends, and the day of/day after Thanksgiving and Christmas, based upon store and business needs
- Open and close cash registers, use magnetic card readers, perform tasks such as counting money, separating charge slips, coupons, and vouchers, balancing cash drawers, and making deposits
- Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts, and know how to prevent or handle these situations
- Follow all Loss Prevention guidelines, including daily bag and purse checks
- Develop and maintain knowledge of Point of Sale (“POS”) procedures
- Understand and execute all policies regarding payments, exchanges and Loss Prevention practices
- Perform merchandising tasks, such as handling freight, re-merchandising, preparing displays, completing price markdowns, and transfers
- Consistently maintain a clean, organized, and shoppable store to fulfill Buckle’s mission statement
- Provide feedback to Store Manager and Leadership Team regarding merchandise handling concerns
- Communicate any policy violations and Teammate or Guest concerns to Store Manager, District Manager, and/or Human Resources in a timely, confidential manner
- Understand and apply the Buckle’s Code of Ethics and all Buckle’s policies, procedures, and handbooks
- Additional duties as assigned
- Complete Teammate Orientation, Beginning Leadership, and Recruiting, Interviewing and Hiring sections of the Buckle Management Manual
- Provide weekly reports and progress updates to the Area Manager and District Manager
- Develop an understanding of Buckle’s products, sales presentation and merchandising process
- Put knowledge into action by managing a product category – set sales goals, educate teammates and track your own results
- Lead and motivate the team by tracking the specific department or company tool through Performance Tracker. Examples include:
- Build a Specific Denim Brand
- Buckle Card
- Develop recruiting, merchandising and leadership skills
- Actively participate monthly in conference calls
- Take ownership and responsibility for all required assignments within the Internship.
Supervisory and Leadership
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Continuous Learning – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; seeks feedback to improve performance; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
Job Knowledge – Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
Design – Generates creative solutions; demonstrates attention to detail.
Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional Guest situations; responds promptly to Guest needs; solicits Guest feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
Cooperation – Establishes and maintains effective relations; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
Collaboration – Contributes to team business approach involving daily input, reviews, feedback and recognition.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit through common courtesies; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; accepts feedback from others; gives appropriate recognition to others.
Business Acumen – Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; aligns work with strategic goals.
Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values.
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment.
Consultative Selling – Builds rapport and establishes trust; asks questions to discover client business needs; applies product and market knowledge effectively; presents solutions that meet Guest objectives.
Personal Appearance – Dresses appropriately for position; keeps self well groomed.
Sales Skills – Achieves sales goals; overcomes objections with persuasion and persistence; initiates new contacts; maintains Guest satisfaction.
Attendance/Punctuality – Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality; Nothing in the job description is intended to infringe upon the rights of Teammates to take mandated sick leave and/or to seek accommodation for mental or physical disabilities. Buckle will comply with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives.
Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
In pursuit of a Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in relevant field of study; no prior experience or training necessary.
Skills Required: Excellent communication skills, an interest in fashion, an open-minded, outgoing personality, and enthusiasm.
College sophomores, juniors or seniors preferred.
Preferred Majors: Business, Management, Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Merchandising, Fashion, Organizational Communication, All Majors Accepted.
Buckle is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to promoting a diverse workforce.