Jett Mitchell

Hometown: Detroit, Michigan
Major and class standing: Graphic Design/Apparel and Textile Design, Senior
Where you interned at: Lulla Collection, New York, NY

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?
I worked as a fashion intern for the Lulla Collection in New York City. My responsibilities included working on the company’s Instagram by posting images and reels of the company’s products and models and keeping track of the company’s inventory and online orders in Excel. I also worked in the showroom every day to organize the space and prepare for meetings. Occasionally, I would have to pull pieces that needed to be shipped out while also being responsible for delivering packages to nearby fashion companies like Burlington and TJ Maxx.

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?
I obtained my internship through the College of Arts and Letters Excel Network. I filled out the application for the New York City Study Away and followed through with the steps provided by the college advisors and the AIFS Abroad team who collaborated with MSU for the study away. I also asked other students who had participated a year prior about their experience.

What did your daily routine include?
For my daily routine, I would arrive at work at 10 am, set up in the area designated for the interns, and wait for our intern coordinator to assign us some tasks to start the day. I would spend time catching up with the other interns and our boss. After working online for a few hours I would usually be pulled into the showroom where all the apparel, accessories, and bags that the company sold were kept. My tasks in the showroom included rearranging the products and showcasing specific items for client meetings. By this time we would take lunch and get to know the area and places for food around the building. By the end of the day, I would work on either social media or start inputting orders into Excel. Also delivering packages to local fashion headquarters or UPS or DHL would usually take place coming into work or leaving for the day.

Your favorite experience from the internship?
My favorite experience from the internship was getting to explore and learn what it’s like to live in New York City. I think the work-life balance in New York is a major component and makes each day exciting.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?
My least favorite part was probably the cost of living throughout, it was hard working an unpaid job while having to pay for food and all of the cool things you get to do out of pocket.

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?
I think I was able to build my communication skills in terms of saying what I meant and not being afraid to ask for clarification. In the past, I thought it was a strength to not ask follow-up questions and be able to solve problems I had on my own. I also think my independence and confidence with traveling and living in a new city have improved. I feel more likely to take on opportunities that are out of state.

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?
I learned that the fashion industry has a lot of different areas that you could consider as far as corporate versus creative. I think after this experience I’ll be more inclined to keep striving for a creative role like design. I plan to keep exploring and gaining experience but this opportunity shed a lot of light on what a corporate 9-5 job would be like.

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?
I would always recommend using your resources and leaning on your peers and advisors for guidance. It isn’t easy looking for an internship outside of the school especially being a creative. I would highly recommend the Excel Network, remote opportunities, LinkedIn, and Indeed. I have found my remote opportunities through LinkedIn and Indeed. If you can travel and go out and get in-person experience I would say that’s the best way to make connections and learn.