- Application Deadline: 09/10/2020
- Company: S.A.F.E. Place
- Location: Charlotte, Michigan
S.A.F.E. Place is committed to helping victims of domestic violence and their families in Calhoun, Eaton and Barry Counties by: Providing quality shelter and crisis intervention services at no cost, and advocating for safety as prescribed by the law.
* We are currently accepting applications for internships for the 2020-2021 school year!!
We accept Summer interns also!
* If you’re interested in applying for 2020-2021 school year, please submit your resume
CLASSIFICATION: Advocate Volunteer
EXPECTED TIME COMMITMENT: One or two terms. Shifts available 9-5pm, M-F.
SUPERVISOR: Legal Advocacy Administrator
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: Interns will assist clients who are seeking PPOs, at Eaton County courthouse.
Key Job Duties:
- Assist clients with most aspects of securing and enforcing personal protection orders (PPOs), as well as assistance with criminal cases involving domestic violence.
- Assist with follow up pertaining to PPO petitions and orders, such as modifications, violations, and accompaniment at court hearings.
- Keep Mobile Office stocked and organized.
- Safety planning and referrals
- Collect and maintain statistical data.
- Attend all shifts, training and other meetings as scheduled.
- All other duties as assigned by Legal Advocacy Administrator or designee
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties that may be performed by such a person.
Minimum Learning Outcomes
- Training on how to provide Trauma-Informed services will be required and provided.
- Communication with persons of different cultures or subcultures. Interpersonal skills.
- Ability to handle crisis situations, and work with clients using empathy and empowerment model.
- Understanding of domestic violence dynamics, investment in the empowerment philosophy, organizational skills, crisis intervention skills, and an ability to access community resources.
- Knowledge of the legal process where it relates to victims of domestic violence and their rights.
- Learn the PPO process, in entirety.
S.A.F.E. Place is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and an equal-opportunity employer. S.A.F.E. Place interns and volunteers will not receive compensation, and there are no guarantees of paid employment.