- Application Deadline: Rolling Deadline
- Company: Sourcebooks
- Location: Naperville, Illinois
Want to make beautiful, life-changing books AND advance your career?
Sourcebooks is a fast-growing entrepreneurial company seeking impact players and difference makers. We create books that transcend categories and defy odds, with hundreds of national bestsellers and awards to show for it. We are a company of enthusiastic, book-lovers dedicated to connecting books to readers in new and innovative ways. Every day, we are transforming the publishing industry with bold thinking and unprecedented results.
Our expanding in-house creative team is on the hunt for a Children’s Art Director to work on our rapidly expanding list of books for children and young readers. This full-time opening in our Naperville, Illinois headquarters requires an expertise and passion for children’s books with 4-6 years of experience working in an art or graphic design related field in some capacity, plus strong working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and how to use the programs to their fullest potential. Publishing experience and illustration skills that allow you to sketch and bookmap assignments in-house are a plus.
Our art directors are experts in their categories, providing creative solutions and design insight to key stakeholders as to what will make a book successfully compete on shelf. This is your chance to flex your strong leadership skills helping develop and drive the creative strategy for our distinctive and award-winning children’s division.
This is the perfect opportunity for an individual with a genuine passion for creating books for children and young readers and who truly believes that books change lives. Does that sound like you? We are a small but mighty fast-paced team who loves to say YES, so we need someone who can manage competing priorities while effectively communicating with agents and illustrators to be sure their needs are also met. As this position will manage various freelance resources, experience building relationships with agents and artists while managing communications and art direction is a necessity. We have a widely collaborative creative process so the ability to provide market expertise with commercial instincts for a wide range of visual aesthetics to key stakeholders is a necessity.
In addition to the above, a successful Children’s Art Director will:
- Be meticulously organized in order to meet deadlines, control costs, and produce error-free work
- Be well versed in and constantly curious about industry trends in publishing, design and printing, and understand the nuances required for all categories of children’s publishing
- Have knowledge of the printing industry in all areas – specifically 1/C through 4/C process, spot colors, specialty treatments, paper knowledge, etc.
- Accept and provide creative feedback and communicate with key stakeholders across departments.
- Understand the technical process of book production, and have knowledge of graphic arts procedures and processes, including preflight and QCing of files before release to printer.
Our culture demands driven, energetic thinkers who possess leadership qualities and the desire for aggressive personal growth. If you feel that you are a strong candidate for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter, along with a link to your portfolio. Only those applications including a cover letter, portfolio and salary requirements will be considered.