- Application Deadline: Rolling
- Company: Shinola
- Location: Detroit, Michigan
At Shinola, we make beautiful, enduring, handcrafted goods that are built to be lived in, worn out, and well loved. Our thoughtful craftsmanship, timeless design and spirited stories inspire our customers to live well, with confidence & joy—in a style that is uniquely their own. Because we are a growing and evolving company, each employee is a key stakeholder, making decisions every day that directly impact our overall vision and direction. At Shinola, you’ll have the opportunity to make a significant contribution at the start of what we believe will become an iconic American brand.
Come be a part of what AdWeek called “America’s Coolest Brand”!
What You’ll Be Doing:
The UX/UI designer is part user whisperer and part digitally-native designer, and will be responsible for prototyping, refining and realizing all of Shinola’s digital assets and experiences for optimal user-centricity—from site pages to mobile flows and multimedia content campaigns. The ideal candidate will be able to work in alignment with our brand guidelines but have a distinct point of view for applying our brand standards to evolve digital assets for optimal functionality, user engagement and visual elegance.
- Build empathy for our customers—understand their wants & needs and help build the vision for how to improve our shopping experience across all devices, while balancing technology, brand, and business goals
- Create innovative & clean design concepts using industry best practices to enhance Shinola.com functionality and user experience
- Execute on all phases of the design process from wireframing concepts and mocks to final hand-off to developers and QA
- Conduct industry and competitive research on UI best practices and solutions to UI challenges
- Translate wireframes into high-quality user interface designs using industry best practices
- Develop UI mockups and prototypes that clearly illustrate how Shinola.com should function and look
- Deliver pixel-perfect implementation of design comps across multiple breakpoints to ensure the best UX across various browsers and device form factors
- Apply design and development best practices including naming conventions, code styling, etc.
- Proactively identify and suggest solutions to resolve user experience problems and friction points
- Work closely with stakeholder teams during design and development phases to ensure project UI goals and deadlines are met
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects and deliverables concurrently and efficiently
- Participate in the eCommerce roadmap planning process to help identify opportunities and emerging trends
- Be an internal champion for quality and the guardian of small details—help our team understand and appreciate the impact of good design and what it takes to make it happen
What You’ll Bring:
- 3+ years of UX/UI design experience producing fantastic business results in a fast-paced eCommerce startup environment
- Excellent digital and mobile design acumen—experienced in designing and developing site pages, interactive products, multimedia content campaigns, apps and GUI elements and frameworks using the latest responsive/adaptive design techniques
- A portfolio of UX-based work samples showcasing well thought out UI design & noticeable attention to detail
- Superstar design background—knock our socks off with your grasp of typography, page layout, art direction, color theory, etc.
- Solid understanding of marketing/advertising techniques (after all, the content you create will have a specific purpose—it will be created for a specific stage of the customer journey and will have to complement the content a user will see before and after it)
- Team player mentality and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment where flexibility, creativity and resourcefulness are required
- An ability to communicate concepts to technical and non-technical team members, leaders, and other stakeholders
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet tight deadlines when necessary (experience with project management tools ie. JIRA, Asana, etc.)
- Expert level proficiency in in design tools (Adobe XD, Figma, Sketch etc.)
- Passion for listening & acting on user feedback (experience partnering with analytics & using tools like Hotjar, GA360, Optimize)
- Working understanding of front-end code format and structure to marry intuitive design concepts with development architecture
- A curious mind & entrepreneurial nature—driven to seek out and learn about the latest innovations in UX/UI and web design
- An interest in fashion, luxury, and artisanal brands with design sense to match—clean, refined, yet warm & welcoming
- A belief in Shinola’s mission/vision and identification with our brand values (determination, quality, hospitality, humility & JOY)
Even Better If You Have:
- A background in retail/consumer products (but eCommerce / direct-to-consumer is a must)
- Exposure to Magento web platform
- Experience working in an agile environment
- HCI, Psychology, Visual Design, or UX Design education
- NN/g Certification(s)