Sylvia Hodges

Full name: Sylvia Hodges

Hometown: Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan

Major and Class Standing: English, Junior

Social Media Handle: @bookmarkingit (Instagram and TikTok), @sylvia.hodges (Instagram)

Internship Company/Organization Name: Publishing ByChelle

Location of Internship: Remote

Program Type: Global Remote Internship Program 

My title was Editorial Intern, and I had many responsibilities. I edited and wrote articles about Australia for the company’s website (trulyaus.com). I also created weekly posts for their Instagram.

I only met via Zoom with my supervisor once a week, and the rest of the time I worked at my own pace. I had certain deadlines to meet, but I didn’t really have a set daily routine.

I heard about the Global Remote Internship Program from my advisor, and I obtained my internship from the Program after being accepted. I had to update my resume, write a personal statement, and practice for interviews. MSU has some really great resources for students to hone these skills that helped me a lot!

woman with brown hair and striped shirt smiling at camera
Sylvia Hodges

There were many wonderful parts of my internship. I loved working with a smaller company and I had a great relationship with my supervisor, she was always available to offer guidance. However, I wish it had been in-person; I would have loved to work with this company face to face. I also wanted to explore the places I was writing about.

While completing this internship, I gained new insight into my chosen career path. I realized that publishing may not be for me, and I decided to add a minor in arts and cultural management to expand my options. I still believe this internship was entirely worthwhile and beneficial; I greatly enjoyed my time working for Publishing ByChelle. With the company, I learned more about editing and writing for a travel magazine. I also learned more about effective posting on social media. Parts of this were making graphics and researching hashtags, which will be beneficial in my academic career going forward.

My advice to other students is to always speak up if you’re interested in finding an internship! I brought up internships with my advisor, and I found out about this opportunity through him. I didn’t think I was ready for an internship at that time, but it’s never too early to at least start looking.