Shayla Pham

Full name: Shayla Pham

Hometown: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Major and Class Standing: Graphic Design, Senior

Social Media Handle: LinkedIn: Shayla Pham

Internship Company/Organization Name: Cape Town Television

Location of Internship: Remote

Program Type: Global Remote Internship Program 

My internship title was a motion graphic designer and my role was to take their graphics and photos and edit them. This included deep etching photos as well as animating their graphics to have motion. My daily routine included rereading notes I took down of what my advisor wanted a graphic to look like and sketching out ideas. If it was a motion graphic, I would create a rough storyboard and then start on bringing the project to life.

I found the internship from an email from my major’s advisor for those seeking an international remote internship. I connected with the program Connect-123 and followed the steps and I was able to obtain the internship. I used the resources my advisor provided, followed the steps, and kept in touch with those in charge of the internship program. 

woman with short black hair and glasses in black cardigan
Shayla Pham

My favorite part of the internship was how I was able to connect with a different culture and work with them. It’s incredible with the possibilities now that things became remote and have accommodated to that. I was able to work with someone across the world, even with our several hour time gap, I was able to create something for them and it is now on their website. I loved that.

It is a bit ironic that my favorite part also resulted in my least favorite part. Since there was a time gap, there would be a lapse of communication sometimes. I had to really be on top of clear communication and with this I learned how to be better with expressing myself clearly. 

Through my internship, I learned that when you are making a graphic for someone/client that it is all about give and take and clear communication; that both sides need to be on the same page for a graphic to work out. It also solidified that I really liked making motion graphics and would love to continue that in the future. I learned to be patient, understanding, and the importance of communication. I had to understand what my supervisor wanted as well as communicate clearly with them. I also sharpened my photoshop and after effects skills. 

My advice for other students would be that if you are looking for an international remote internship, to definitely apply for Connect-123. They helped me with everything and made the whole process very smooth and I could really tell that they wanted me to succeed. The program provided workshops and group discussions and endless help to those who needed it. They also asked what I wanted to do, which was motion design, and were able to give me a remote program on exactly that.