Abigail Parry

Full name: Abigail Parry

Hometown: East Lansing, Michigan

Major and Class Standing: Interdisciplinary Humanities, Senior

Social Media Handle: Instagram: @parryabby

Internship Company/Organization Name: Becker’s Bridal

Location of Internship: Lansing, Michigan

Program Type: Independent

I learned of this opportunity through a Facebook advertisement. I emailed over my resume and got a call from their account manager to set up an interview. At Becker’s Bridal, I served as a consultant intern. I would schedule brides, create social media content, and assist brides in finding their dream gown. My daily routine included receiving tasks from the store managers and assisting brides.

woman with blonde hair smiling at camera
Abigail Parry

My favorite part of this internship was working with the brides. They are going through exciting, nerve-wracking times and looked to me for guidance and knowledge. It felt like I helped them become real-life Cinderellas, every day. My least favorite part of the internship was the secretary component, where I would respond to emails and voicemails. I don’t normally like to talk on the phone. This experience has improved my communication skills; not just with phone and email, but also taking a step back and listening to what the bride is saying.

Through this experience, I have found a very niche industry to work in. The bridal industry was not able to fully transition into an online sphere – the physical commodity of it will never be replaced. Based on my work this summer, I have been promoted to Assistant Manager at the Becker’s Bridal Outlet.

My advice for other students is: learn every chance you get! One of the biggest things I found out through this internship is that if you take the chance to connect with people, you will find out a lot about life, not just work. My brides challenged and surprised me every day.