- Application Deadline: Rolling
- Company: College for Creative Studies
- Location: Detroit, Michigan
Will be responsible for supporting Design Core Detroit by providing administrative, organizational and technical support in planning, coordination and execution to achieve project and department goals.
CORE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the daily administration of Design Core Detroit’s business and/or public programs, including but not limited to registration and payments, reporting, membership onboarding, updates, event planning, and materials.
- Recruit and retain design businesses into the Detroit Design Network; deliver member benefits, manage member and event communications.
- Provide technical assistance and coaching to Detroit Design Network members, as requested.
- Provide technical assistance to future design clients, regarding drafting a scope of work, establishing realistic milestones, deliverables and budgets for design projects, etc.
- Supporting the Detroit Month of Design application, review and acceptance process and supporting independent event organizers and sponsored activations throughout the festival season.
- Supporting Detroit City of Design initiatives.
- Initiating and planning workshops and public events, including management of registration, attendance, follow-up communication, and oversight of internal post-event processing, i.e. add attendees to the mailing list, send and collect surveys, report metrics, etc.
- Help to collect, aggregate and report all quantitative, qualitative and anecdotal information related to program performance.
- Hosting both virtual and in-person meetings and events related to organizational objectives, which may include business-to-business matchmaking sessions via Zoom, membership appreciation events, educational programming, or public programs, etc.
- May be asked to take the lead on drafting initial copy and compiling metrics and stories to support grant proposals and / or reports.
- May occasionally supervisor temporary, or part-time project assistants.
Every person on this team is expected to:
- Be cross-trained to serve all functions and goals of the organization.
- Notice challenges or barriers to programs and service delivery and take thoughtful action to make changes and improve results.
- Maintain current and accurate records of engagement and activities with members, nonmembers, buyers, partners, sponsors and funders.
- Initiate, develop and maintain collaborative relationships with partners, members and stakeholders in Detroit’s design community, through the delivery of excellent work and exceptional customer service.
- Be able to produce activity and designer matchmaking reports, as needed to serve potential design buyers, etc.
- Support the acquisition, management and reporting of grants, contracts and sponsorships.
- Support our business clients by sharing news and information, discovering and communicating opportunities, and collecting and reporting metrics and feedback.
- Represent Design Core at meetings and events, as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Desire to reach beyond what’s expected.
- Experience in business, design, or economic development positions that demonstrate increasing responsibility and competencies.
- Proven track record of organizational and time management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects, data, and deadlines, while producing superior results.
- Demonstrated customer service, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills.
- Must be a self-starter, and creative thinker, with a genuine interest in continuous learning and ownership of assigned projects.
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence in planning, execution and follow-up is required.
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication.
- Basic understanding of MS Office applications such as Word, Excel as well as Google Drive, and G-suite applications.
- The ability to utilize various technology platforms and systems in pursuit of goals and objectives is required, including customer relationship management (CRM) systems, project management tools, etc.
- Must be flexible and comfortable solving problems and making decisions in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Must be able to travel occasionally to local, national and international locations to attend conferences or participate in meetings. If driving, valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record is required. International travel will require a valid passport.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Proficiency in Design Core’s current technology tools and platforms, including WordPress, Neon, Mailchimp, Eventbrite, Google Drive, Neon, Asana, Slack and Submittable.
- The ability to speak in front of small or large groups and to varying audiences ranging from students to C-level talent.
- Candidates should possess an interest in the creative economy, small business development, and economic development in general.
- Design Core prefers candidates who are self-motivated, organized, strong writers, creative thinkers, and thoughtful problem solvers.
- A passion for Detroit or urban economic development is a plus.
This is a full time position, Monday-Friday, 9am – 5pm. Hours can be flexed to meet personal and professional needs, but the team is expected to work together in the office on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Other days can be virtual, in person or a hybrid, based on individual work demands. Some evenings and weekends are required.
This job operates in-person and virtually in a professional office on a college campus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily working on a computer, attending events, or participating in meetings.
The physical demands described here are representative of requirements to perform the essential functions of this job; accommodations may be available. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop. The employee may often lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Most days require working on a computer, making phone calls, or participating in meetings. Sometimes there are short trips to external meetings or engagements. This position often requires facilitating events and / or hosting meetings or tours.
ABOUT DESIGN CORE DETROIT
A program within College for Creative Studies, Design Core offers services to strengthen, grow and attract design businesses, strengthen market demand for design services, and tell Detroit’s design story locally and globally. We are a small but mighty team of energetic, self-driven, compassionate doers. We’re looking for others who see gaps and opportunities and take independent, thoughtful action to initiate programs and processes in response.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE FOR CREATIVE STUDIES
Located in the heart of Detroit, the College for Creative Studies (CCS) educates artists and designers to be leaders in the creative professions. A private, fully accredited college, CCS enrolls more than 1,400 students pursuing Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) and Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degrees.
Students in the BFA program can major in Advertising Design, Communication Design, Crafts, Entertainment Arts, Fashion Accessories Design, Fine Arts, Illustration, Interior Design, Photography, Product Design, and Transportation Design, in addition to a dual major Art Education program. Students in the MFA program can major in Color and Materials Design, Interaction Design, Integrated Design, and Transportation Design. The College also offers non-credit courses in the visual arts through its Continuing and Precollege Studies programs and opportunities for youth through its Community Arts Partnerships programs.
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. The search will close when a suitable candidate is hired. Interested candidates should submit the following in PDF format: Resume and a letter of application should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org
CCS website: http://www.collegeforcreativestudies.edu/
The College for Creative Studies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.