- Application Deadline: Rolling
- Company: Planet Detroit
- Location: Detroit, Michigan
Planet Detroit is seeking a dynamic Community Engagement & Partnerships Manager to lead our community engagement initiatives. In this role, you’ll initiate and maintain positive working relationships with community organizations and pursue opportunities to expand our reach and engagement.
You’re a natural connector, a keen communicator and self-starter with experience in community- and coalition-building, along with event planning and program coordination. You enjoy initiating conversations and listening with empathy as you work to understand community concerns and identify mutual opportunities. Connecting invisible dots between individuals, groups, ideas and solutions excites you, and you’re motivated to be the connector. You’re organized and can create systems and processes to manage work efficiently to create an excellent experience for our partners.
Community engagement & outreach
- Maintain engagement & build partnerships with key local nonprofit and community organizations like local block clubs, faith groups, etc.
- Proactively reach out to seek new partnerships by attending community events, delivering presentations, and organizing community listening sessions.
- Moderate social media engagement on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Media partnership coordination
- Working with the executive editor, forge and maintain relationships and workflows with editors at partner media organizations to coordinate co-production and republishing
Impact Partners Circle / Member coordination
- Responsive, ongoing communication, weekly outreach and direct engagement with Impact Partners and members to grow and maintain relationships
- Prospect, recruit, and onboard new Impact Partners and members across a wide range of community organizations and business sectors.
- Manage and execute Planet Detroiters’ Connect Events, to include at least 4-6 social or service opportunities for Impact Partners and members.
- Write and compile quarterly Editor’s Desk Updates to Imoact partners & members
- Coordinate Impact Partner Editorial Roundtable twice per year
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR IN A CANDIDATE:
- Demonstrated commitment to Planet Detroit’s mission.
- Strong experience with community organizing and coalition building, event planning and program coordination.
- Keen ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with local residents as well as civic, nonprofit, and business leaders.
- Ability to listen with empathy and to understand community concerns, and connect ways to address those concerns through our reporting, information, and community networks.
- Participate in community/neighborhood discussions, attend and lead both online and in-person events, and to maintain those relationships.
- High degree of self-awareness and cross-cultural communication skills, with a desire to learn and grow with and from the community and Planet Detroit team.
- Demonstrated excellence in project coordination, time management, and organizational skills with ability to juggle and prioritize multiple projects.
- Self-starter—proactive and driven with a strong work ethic, high level of motivation, a strong sense of urgency when needed, and the ability to work without direct supervision and to consistently meet deadlines.
- Detail oriented with great writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Experience with or willingness to learn tools including Google Workspace, Canva, Slack, Zoom, etc.
We know there are important skills we haven’t thought of or strong candidates who don’t have this exact background. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us more. Black, indigenous, people of color, people with disabilities, and people from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is 50-100% contract role with an hourly rate of $30-$40 per hour based on experience. We are looking for the right person to fill this role and will work to accommodate your needs.
This position is remote with the exception of occasional in-person attendance at events and meetings in the Detroit area when deemed safe.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Community and Partnerships Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We intend to fill this position as soon as possible.
Meet with Planet Detroit’s Executive Editor Nina Ignaczak for a no-strings-attached chat to answer your questions about the role. Schedule a 15-minute call here.
Ignore it! If this role sparks a feeling of interest or intrigue, let’s talk!
Planet Detroit is a community-driven environmental and public health news publication. Our aim is to raise Metro Detroit residents’ awareness about critical environmental and public health issues that impact their communities. Our mission is: Hold power accountable. Uncover solutions. Reflect and serve the community.