- Application Deadline: Rolling
- Company: Michigan College Access Network (MCAN)
- Location: Lansing, Michigan
Job Title: Strategic Engagement Summer Intern
Reports to: Katie Wittenauer, Director of Strategic Engagement
Employment Type: Part Time (20-30 hrs/week) from May through August 2022
Application Deadline: Encouraged to apply as soon as possible
ABOUT MICHIGAN COLLEGE ACCESS NETWORK (MCAN)
As the leader in the state’s college access movement, MCAN works to improve the futures of Michigan’s students and communities by making college accessible to all. MCAN’s work centers the Sixty by 30 goal — increasing Michigan’s postsecondary educational attainment rate to 60% by 2030. MCAN engages partners statewide who are committed to systems-level change and the reduction of barriers to increase college readiness, participation and completion rates, particularly among low-income students, first-generation college-going students, and students of color. For more information, visit MCAN’s website. To learn more about being part of MCAN’s team, watch our work culture video here.
Under the supervision of the director of strategic engagement, the strategic engagement intern will support MCAN’s communication efforts across all departments. The incoming intern must be passionate about promoting the organization’s mission of educational equity for low-income students, students of color, and first generation college-going students. The ideal candidate is highly collaborative, self-motivated, technically-capable, detail-oriented, and has the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, innovative environment. Applicants must have strong writing and editing skills. This internship is an in-person position at MCAN’s office in Lansing, but a hybrid option is available for an intern living outside of the greater Lansing region.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The strategic engagement intern performs a wide range of duties including but not limited to the following:
- Writing, editing, and sending out letters to state legislators
- Writing and editing press releases highlighting MCAN’s initiatives
- Creating blog content, contacting blog authors, and collecting author headshots
- Drafting social media posts
- Proofing and editing print and digital projects
- Collaborating with the resource and outreach AmeriCorps VISTA and strategic engagement team to implement communications strategies focused on college access holidays and observances
- Assisting with event communications and other related needs for Maritime Academies and the annual MCAN conference.
- Conducting social media research and evaluation
- Analyzing and synthesizing data for sharing internally and externally
- Keeping official MCAN communications consistent with the brand’s style guide
- Maintaining correspondence with MCAN’s communication partners
- Attending meetings and events as requested
- Performing other duties as needed to advance the mission of MCAN
EDUCATION, JOB KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The ideal candidate must:
- Have an academic background or experience in public relations, communications, journalism, marketing
- Have a valid in-state driver’s license for local travel
- Have a strong and demonstrated commitment to equity
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The hourly wage for this position is $15/hour. We offer flexibility around scheduling, and can accommodate (to the best of our ability) the needs of students completing an internship for course credit.
MCAN believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. MCAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people from all backgrounds to apply. MCAN is also an Employer of National Service.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact details for two academic or professional references to Katie Wittenauer, director of strategic engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions related to this position, please email Tricia Lujambio at email@example.com.