- Application Deadline: 7/15/22
- Company: Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Location: Washington, District of Columbia, USA (Remote Workers Allowed)
The Media Internship is located within the Office of Public Affairs (OPA) at the National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC). OPA oversees all media, marketing, communications, social media, and web content for the Museum. The primary role of the department is to promote the Museum’s exhibitions, public programs, and educational initiatives. This department is also responsible for enhancing the Museum’s brand and reputation. Staff members develop communications plans and publicity campaigns for events, exhibition openings, fundraising, special events, and membership activities.
The Media Intern will propose creative ideas to contribute to a fast pace dynamic External Affairs Department. The intern will gain insight into the inner workings of OPA at the NMAAHC. When the internship is completed, the intern will develop verbal, written, and professional skills and understand what makes compelling news, and be ready to enter any fast-paced public relations firm.
Duties Include (but are not limited to):
· Manage system for daily compiling, recording, and dissemination of news clips for staff and support work of OPA.
· Produce PowerPoint media reports on media events and success of media outreach with appropriate metrics included.
· Manage system for issuing media passes on behalf of OPA.
· Assist with media memo compilation and support in staffing of media interview with curators.
· Assist in writing of press releases and other media collateral for media outreach.
· Perform basic media research and pulling of media list.
· Become familiar with galleries, collections by viewing museum and attending opening meetings and programs.