Grace Carney

Hometown: Brighton, MI

Major & Class Standing: English and Humanities Pre-Law, Sophomore

Internship Company/Organization Name: Workers World Media Productions

Location of Internship: Remote

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?

My job as a summer intern at WWMP was to interview employers and employees and write stories about their responses and current events. Each day I would check my email for responses from those I interviewed, check up on my tasks from my employer, and write stories, story pitches, and journalism exercises.

How did you obtain your internship?

I obtained the internship through MSU’s global remote internship program and was approached by WWMP after they gave my information to potential employers.

What was your favorite and least favorite part of the internship?

My favorite part of the internship was the objective take I had to take on my stories, and my least favorite part was the difficulty regarding communication.

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship?

I learned that journalism is primarily about people, and how you approach them, which pushed me to have an open mind and has made me passionate about writing pieces based on the perspectives of others. I have learned a lot more about the art of journalism, and how it differs from creative writing. I would suggest that those looking for internships look for fields you have yet to rule out because it will help you narrow down your major and what you want to do as a career.