Kara Sollars

Hometown: Flat Rock, MI

Major & Class Standing: Humanities/Pre-Law & Junior

Instagram: Karasollars_

Internship Company/Organization Name: Okemos Legal Group PLLC

Location of Internship: Okemos, MI

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities? What did your daily routine include?

Undergraduate Intern. Draft legal documents and conduct legal research. Handle confidential information between clients and attorneys. Process transactions and document purchases.

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?

I applied on Indeed.com and made connections over LinkedIn with people I knew had been an intern before.

What was your favorite part of the internship?

Networking and making connections with current MSU Law students and practicing attorneys. I’ve gotten great advice on law school and life as an attorney.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?

I don’t really have a least favorite part. I was there for 2 semesters. During the summer semester, I was a seasoned Intern so sometimes, I found myself giving up some of the fun moments so others could experience them too. It wasn’t a problem though.

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?

I learned that I really do want to be an attorney. I always have but, this internship strengthened my feelings about it. My future plan is to open my own law firm one day.

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?

One skill I learned is legal research, mostly on Westlaw. A skill I built upon is my leadership skills. I found myself more eager to volunteer to lead a project.

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?

I would say to only apply to internships you are interested in. It makes the interviewing process much better and when you get the position you will be more excited to do the job.