Raegen Eller

Major and class standing: Graphic Design, Senior

Where you interned: MaxMedia, Dalkey, Ireland

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?
During summer 2022, I interned for MaxMedia, a content creation agency with 11 employees based in the cutest town in the entire world—Dalkey, Ireland.

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?
During the application process for the “Internship in Dublin” Study Abroad Program, I worked with numerous faculty members to perfect my resume and essays. I eventually had the option of choosing between three different opportunities in Ireland.

What did your daily routine include?
As part of the internship, I took photos for Tourism Ireland’s website and social media, wrote articles for Tourism Ireland’s comment pages, researched and created content for articles and social media, and worked on content management system tasks. I was surprised on my first day when they told me to just walk around the town, explore, get coffee, and simply don’t do any work. They never pressed any hard deadlines or made me arrive at a specific time. They told me I could work remotely or come into the office whenever I wanted. They even insisted that I take a long lunch break on some days to take a dip in the sea

Your favorite experience from the internship?
I loved the flexibility in the work, developing content and understanding the strategy behind social media engagement. Most of all, I loved going out in the country to take photos for the website/social media and creating Instagram reels for both Tourism Ireland and Maxmedia Ireland.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?
Nothing! I loved every part of my internship!

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?
I pushed myself out of my comfort zone and, without doing this internship abroad, I don’t think I would have anywhere close to the independence I have today. I was fine that I didn’t make as many friends as I had hoped because I learned how to be alone. I had never been able to go to a restaurant on my own and sit and have a meal, but on this trip, I did and now I can do it here in the U.S. I learned to not be afraid to do things alone because you will grow.

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?
I am actively doing things at MSU to set myself up for success such as leading AIGA, meeting people through my photography, applying myself in my classes, and talking with my professors about future plans. I know I will end up somewhere beautiful, with a cute little house with land, doing photography and graphic design. I know my past experiences like this summer internship abroad will have been an experience that has influenced my future career and life choices positively.

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?
Work with professors and faculty members—they are eager to help you! Let them review your work so that you are prepared to interview for whichever position interests you. Dream big and push yourself to go out of your comfort zone.