Aidan Sheperd

Hometown: Livonia, MI
Major and class standing: Interdisciplinary Humanities, Senior
Social media Handles: LinkedIn – Aidan Sheperd
Where you interned: Refugee Development Center, Lansing, MI

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?
I was an English as a Second Language instructor who accompanied the classroom to help deliver lessons. Each class on Tuesday and Thursday evenings places members in the hands of instructors who offer a range of fundamental learning advice. Meeting these members involves progress reports which measure per week.

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?
Handshake Job Posting

What did your daily routine include?
Every Tuesday and Thursday evening I assisted the teacher at ESOL classrooms. The RDC members and I communicated for a better understanding of individual progress. The language proficiency skills required to read and write meet benchmarks by encouraging participation.

Your favorite experience from the internship?
I felt rewarded for speaking another language in ESOL classrooms. My Spanish language skills improved by establishing mutual relationships with these members.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?
I was challenged to occupy with duties while the pace of activity slowed. I prefer to work on higher demands rather than wait an hour for interaction.

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?
My capabilities to lead by example developed throughout the semester. Participating alongside staff is most effective while we agree with one another. As long as we hold functional roles in feedback, updates, and attendance we build trust.

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?
I find connections in accomplishments among majority and minority populations. The varied backgrounds can introduce me to resources. In a coordinator position for projects involving underrepresented populations, I expect to step out of my comfort zone. My range of planning is determined by obtaining information. Direct communication is key to meeting benchmarks on time.

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?
I recommend searching for internship positions that link to an applicant profile overall. The more details in a resume are likely to fit job posting interests. The process of securing a position builds upon previous experience. Presenting this profile is functional by the time an interview is scheduled.