Chloe Teunis

Hometown: Owosso
Major and class standing: Senior, English
Where you interned at: Mango Publishing Group, Coral Gables, FL

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?
Editorial/Scouting Assistant

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?
I found a listing on Chegg and submitted my resume. My advisor then emailed me from there and we had a phone interview discussing what I could do for the company as an intern.

What did your daily routine include?
Outreach, reviewing submissions, acknowledgment letters to incoming submissions as well as acceptance and decline letters, email checking, etc.

Your favorite experience from the internship?
My favorite experience was being able to help work on a project that my advisor was excited about though not too knowledgeable about. I was able to give her some insight as well as introduce her to something she had not known about before.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?
My least favorite part was doing the outreach on my own personal email. It probably would have been better if they provided the interns with an intern email, maybe one that they had off to each intern so that maybe when doing outreach we would get responses back sooner.

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?
Time management and outreach communication are the two main skills that I learned and improved upon.

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?
I was able to learn what goes into the tasks and how much there is to do that you don’t see. My future plans are still the same at that is to go into publishing or editing with a book publisher.

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?
Be open to something that you are not used to doing or maybe afraid to try. I was worried initially that I wouldn’t meet the expectations of my advisor but it seems now that I have met them and may have even exceeded them. Put yourself out there!