Olivia Fossum

Hometown: Lansing, Michigan
Major and class standing: Graphic Design, Graduated
Instagram: @lulufossum
Where you interned at: Fresh Cuts Clothing, Dublin, Ireland

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?
Being a Graphic Design Intern meant I had a lot of responsibilities. I was a curator of social media content, designer of promotional marketing and online advertisements, photographer and stylist of models and shoots for website and digital media, and collaborator with owners and designers on upcoming projects and collections.

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?
I applied through the MSU internships abroad program, went through the interview process, and got placed based on my skillset and work preference.

What did your daily routine include?
Weekly meetings, content calendar prep for the two months, content creation usually on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and meetings on Friday.

Your favorite experience from the internship?
My favorite experiences were learning new skills, adapting to a new place, and creating and working with my team at my internship. I’ve learned how much work goes into a small business and how easy is it too communicate and bounce ideas around until we collectively agree. I’ve also learned how to use Shopify which will help me in the future for my small business. It was also so much fun to be in a totally new place and learn the ins and outs of the city during my stay.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?
My least favorite part was not being able to see my dog back home.

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?
My internship at Fresh Cuts provided me with hands-on experience in graphic design. I honed my skills in creating visually appealing designs, understanding typography, layout, color theory, and effectively conveying messages through visual elements. I’ve learned how to work with a creative team and this experience improved my project management skills, from setting priorities and managing timelines to coordinating with team members to ensure successful project completion. Overall, my internship at Fresh Cuts provided a well-rounded learning experience that equipped me with essential skills needed to excel in the field of graphic design. The hands-on projects, guidance from experienced professionals, and exposure to real client interactions have significantly contributed to my growth as a designer.

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?
My internship experience provided me with invaluable insights into the fashion industry and reinforced my passion for pursuing a career in this dynamic field, whether within a large corporation or a smaller business. My future plans are moving to Chicago and getting a temporary job as my job search continues.

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?
If you’re thinking about interning or studying abroad, do it! It will be an unforgettable experience and you’ll learn so much about yourself and where you’d like to continue your career path.