Jacob Springer

Hometown: Howell, MI
Major and class standing: Graphic Design, recent alum (May 2023)
]Instagram: jacob_springer
Twitter: @jacobspringer98
Where you interned at: Detroit Lions in Allen Park MI

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities? As a production intern with One Pride Productions, my responsibilities included: helping produce video content for social media, broadcast, and internal use; Setting up and tearing down shoots in our studio; Record and uploading all press conferences to DetroitLions.com; Maintaining camera equipment; and Capturing high-quality audio using a boom mic on game days, both home and away.

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?
I saw the job posting reposted by their creative director on Twitter

What did your daily routine include?
My daily routine included setting up livestream/recording of upcoming press conferences and executing those and then whatever activities I was assigned for the day (usually different every day) I could spend most of the day editing a video assigned to me, prepping gear to go on an away game, go out in the community covering events that pertained to the team it varied from day to day.

Your favorite experience from the internship?
I would probably have to say traveling to away games, being with the team when we traveled to LA or really any of the away games in a location I hadn’t been to was always super fun.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?
The hours were probably my least favorite part. It did require a lot of hours and nights and weekends which was fun but also taxing at times, especially towards the middle and end of the season.

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?
Skills that I would say I built upon would be being able to produce high-quality content with a team, and being able to take a concept and follow it all the way through to completion. Developed stronger skills as a video shooter working with high-end cameras being able to operate those. As well as just overall professional development working with so many different people across multiple departments from other staff members to players and coaches.

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?
I think my time with the Lions showed me what I liked and didn’t like about the sports industry as well as showed me the projects that I liked to produce. It definitely helped me get a clearer picture of the more specific route I’d like to pursue in the future. In terms of future plans, I have begun to freelance where I can while I look for the next step.

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?
Go for it! It’s not every day that opportunities like this come around so jump on it while you can