Thanh Tran

Hometown: Grand Rapids, MI
Major and class standing: Graphic Design, Junior
Instagram: @thanh.vt4
LinkedIn: @tranvthanh
Where you interned: Big Bad Boo Studios, New York, NY

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?
As an intern with Big Bad Boo Studios, I created social media graphics and templates with Adobe, designed a holiday calendar, and updated the company profile with new branding principles. In addition, I attended various meetings to learn about each part of the animation industry from production to sales.”

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?
I first found out about the internship through an MSU newsletter. I reached out to Maggie Harris to further ask questions about the program, and she helped me through the process.

What did your daily routine include?
I would meet with my supervisor twice a week to go over my schedule and assignments. I attended Zoom meetings with the respective leads of my projects, but I had the flexibility to work on them independently.

Your favorite experience from the internship?
My favorite highlights from the internship were attending the different stages of production, such as table reads and voice recordings. I also enjoyed the flexibility to work on my design assignments at the cafes or libraries New York offered.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?
Though my internship was remote and flexible, I would have also liked to attend some sessions such as voice recordings in-person.

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?
I was able to develop my skills in graphic design through the many projects I worked on in marketing and production. However, working remotely greatly helped me practice and improve my time-management and communication skills. I was able to maintain my own schedule and felt comfortable to reach out to my co-workers for questions.

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?
The internship exposed me to a greater understanding about the animation industry as both an artist and designer. I connected with individuals who showed me how a show is produced and distributed. As a Graphic Design major, I feel more confident about using my skills and working in entertainment.

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?
Attending the informational sessions and speaking with assistants, like Maggie Harris, is a great opportunity to ask any questions–whether you are looking for internships or have questions about specifics. Even if they are not familiar with the situation, they can refer you to other resources such as advisors leading the program. Maggie also helped me with finding scholarships that were focused on interning in the summer, and I felt more confident about this opportunity.