Nolan Rachocki

Hometown: Macomb Township, Michigan
Major and class standing: German & International Relations, Senior
LinkedIn: RachockiN
Where you interned: Lingco Language Labs, Lansing, Michigan (Remote)

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?
As a Content Development Intern with Lingco, I developed German content and contributed to the platform’s German Language resources and collaborated with native German speakers, instructional designers, videographers, and proof-to-create authentic materials, proofread content, and ensured high-quality, engaging content. Additionally, I transcribed and translated video interviews to be viewable with both German and English subtitles and utilized and further developed skills in basic audio editing, image editing, and HTML/CSS formatting to design and present German language content in a more appealing and immersive format.

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?
I received an email about it from my Academic Advisor in CAL, I then applied for the position on LinkedIn.

What did your daily routine include?
Continue work on projects, which included different things like writing informative articles about German-speaking countries or filming video interviews, or cutting audio clips.

Your favorite experience from the internship?
My favorite part of the experience has been that the position (and company) is fully remote, so you have a lot of autonomy in the way and timing of getting things done. I filmed video interviews of visiting German students on campus over the summer and while Lingco assisted me with some things, I had to organize them by myself for the most part. I rented a camera from the Film studies department, booked a room in Wells Hall, set up the camera equipment, and then conducted the video interviews.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?
Because of the remote nature of the company and position, it was hard to connect with the people I worked with. I feel that the remote setting removes a lot of the chit-chat that coworkers would normally have.

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?
Transcription, Translation, Audio-Visual Editing, HTML/CSS, Lesson Design, Time Management

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?
Prior to this position, I had not worked a Non-MSU job for quite some time, and had it not been for this position, I probably would not have had any Non-MSU work experiences in the last 2-3 years of my Bachelors Degree. I think this is important, because it gave me an insight into a private company within the education industry and opened my eyes to the possibilities outside of academia, yet still educational related/adjacent. On top of that, in the future, I don’t think I could do a fully remote position but would consider doing part-time work for a remote company again.

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?
If you are enjoying your experience working somewhere, and your employer is happy with your work, don’t be afraid to ask about the “future” and what opportunities you may have with that company moving forward. It’s kind of a scary ask, but in the long run, it can be very beneficial both for you and the employer.