Kalyn Janeczko

Full name: Kalyn Mackenzie Janeczko

Hometown: Westland, Michigan

Major and Class Standing: Graphic Design, Junior

Social Media Handle: Instagram: @kalynmj_art

Internship Company/Organization Name: MSU College of Arts and Letters Excel Network

Location of Internship: East Lansing, Michigan

Program Type: Independent

My title is the Graphic Design Intern and my responsibilities include creating graphics for various Excel Network events, working on Career Community newsletters, designing social media graphics, and creating job and event postings for the Excel Network website. 

I first heard about this internship through an email forwarded to the graphic design mailing list and after learning more about it through Handshake, I applied. 

Woman wearing a black blazer smiling at the camera in front of a brick wall.
Kalyn Janeczko

My favorite part of this internship has been being able to see my designs used in several places throughout the organization. So far, I’ve learned a lot about working with an established brand identity and expanding on that identity through my own designs, as well as how graphic design fits into a professional setting. I plan on going into logo and identity design in the future, so this has been really helpful. 

For other students seeking out internships, I’d highly recommend using Handshake as it has a wealth of helpful information and resources for you to use. Also, I know as students we get way too many emails, but make sure you take a second look at the emails you get about internship opportunities, especially from your advisor and department’s internship coordinator, they hold some pretty cool opportunities.