Jett Mitchell

Full name: Jett Storm Mitchell

Hometown: Detroit, Michigan

Major and Class Standing: Graphic Design and Apparel and Textile Design, Senior

Social Media Handle: Instagram: @Jettstormm

Internship Company/Organization Name: Bulbshare

Location of Internship: Remote

Program Type: Global Remote Internship Program 

My title at Bulbshare was the Design Intern, also responsible for marketing and social media. My daily routine included google meet video calls with the content manager, going over my intern profile and the current/upcoming projects I needed to get done. I was also creating designs/mockups for infographics and working towards improving the companies branding. 

I obtained my internship through utilizing the MSU CAL Excel Network experiential learning page and taking time to look out for emails with different opportunities. I went to see a career planning advisor in the CAL Excel Network to get help with my resume. Once I had a solid resume, I applied to some of the internships that were listed on the network. Although some complications arose with other internships due to COVID-19, I came across the Global Remote Internship Program. After being accepted and a few meetings I was put in contact with CAPA (the global education network) and they were able to set me up with an internship that was right for me. 

woman in striped sweater and pink shirt with curly hair smiling at camera
Jett Mitchell

My favorite part of the internship was gaining experience and confidence in graphic design. But I also really enjoyed making connections with new people. My least favorite part of the internship was balancing work and classes. I think in the future I would try to avoid doing an internship while I am taking classes. There wasn’t anything I disliked about the internship alone. 

I learned that in the design field there are lots of outside factors that contribute to good design. For example, having flexible copy to work with, proofreading/checking for errors, knowing your audience and your goals. I also learned that it’s important to ask for help because you never know who is willing to help you. 

During my internship, I built upon my flexibility and creativity. I feel like I had to get creative at times with projects. In the past, I would rely on one software to give me everything I needed but when you have lots of people with lots of opinions you must think outside the box. 

My advice for other students seeking out internship opportunities would be to never stop looking even if one thing goes wrong, and never stop asking people about opportunities. My original plan for my first internship didn’t work due to the pandemic and I was ready to wait until the following summer to try again. Instead, I took a chance when I learned about the global remote internship. Although it wasn’t going to include travel, I would still gain experience.