Fiona Graham

Full name: Fiona Graham

Hometown: Bremerton, Washington

Major and Class Standing: English and History, Senior

Social Media Handle: Instagram: @Fionagraycg

Internship Company/Organization Name: North Star Behavior Consultants LLC

Location of Internship: Kitsap County, Washington

Program Type: Independent

At North Star Behavior Consultants, I was a Registered Behavior Technician. My role was to implement behavioral treatment plans in one-on-one sessions with clients who have autism, focusing on teaching new social skills. On a typical day, I would conduct a session with my client at their home wherein we do a variety of activities meant to teach them new skills. After a session, I would spend the rest of the day finishing up my session notes, speaking with my supervisor, and planning for the next session. 

I obtained this internship through connections that I made in high school during service projects. I reached out to a co-owner of North Star and asked about any possible positions. I started training and began my internship in Summer 2021.

woman with brown curly hair and glasses smiling at camera
Fiona Graham

My absolute favorite part of this internship has been the close relationships that I have formed with my coworkers and clients. I have made strong connections that I will cherish for the rest of my life. The worst part of this internship is having to leave for a bit. I am so excited to go back to MSU’s campus, but I will miss my company greatly and look forward to working with them again in the future.

I learned so much about the highs and lows of education and healthcare, from feeling as though little change is being made to being incredibly excited to try something new in a session. I know now for sure that I have a future in education, and I will continue working with North Star after graduation. 

During this internship, I learned a lot of basics, including how to collect appropriate qualitative and quantitative data and how to collaborate with a professional team. However, I also learned countless skills that will benefit me in a career in education, including how to bring enthusiasm into learning and how to adapt to the constant unexpected situations in teaching.

For anyone looking for an internship, I strongly suggest looking locally and reaching out to any possible connections you may have, from family and friends and even people from high school. I struggled for a while to find anything because of the pandemic, but I asked and applied at many places and eventually found a company I loved working with. Also, don’t be afraid to be picky! Choose something you are passionate about, because an internship can lead to a career.