Sumaiya Asghar

Hometown: West Bloomfield, MI
Major and class standing: Double Major in Experience Architecture & Supply Chain Management; Senior
Instagram: @sumaiyaaasghar
Where you interned at: The Home Depot; Remote

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?
As a User Experience Intern for The Home Depot, I designed and developed a real-time delivery tracker employing a comprehensive approach that encompasses user research, storyboards, synthesis, wireframes, user-flow diagrams, low-fidelity and high-fidelity designs, iteration, and prototypes. I also identified target user groups to understand user needs by conducting user research, led user research efforts conducting 50+ interviews, surveys, and usability tests to gather insights and ensure a user-centered design approach. I improved product performance by integrating user feedback into the final design to enhance usability and increase user satisfaction by 80% and utilized expertise in color theory, typography, imagery, and composition to craft elements that fostered a strong sense of connection between users and engaged experiences

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?
Talking to a recruiter at a business career fair who told me I should look at their careers site to see other opportunities available, where I found the UX Intern application. I was able to apply directly on their careers site, fixing my resume through my connections’ advice and writing center, and once I got an interview I was able to reach out to past interns to get advice on how to ace the interview.

What did your daily routine include?
My daily routine included a morning meeting with my dev team to go over daily tasks and check-ins, and we would have weekly stand-ups to go over last week’s accomplishments and shortcomings.

Your favorite experience from the internship?
My favorite experience was being able to meet all the interns and my entire team in person at The Home Depot headquarters in Atlanta. This orientation week was filled with support, knowledge, and excitement. It showed me that I was valued at this company, I would be doing valuable work, and that I would truly be making a difference!

What was your least favorite part of the internship?
My least favorite part was adjusting to remote work for the entire internship. With design work, it helps to be in person to bounce ideas back off your team members. I am also a hands-on learner and definitely need a collaborative space to feel my most creative state. It was difficult trying to do my best work in a remote setting. However, I was able to adjust and learned that remote work has its own perks!

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?
Technical Skills: Figma, Miro, Procreate, user testing, Qualtrics, user-centered design approach, user research, storyboards, synthesis, wireframes, user-flow diagrams, low-fidelity and high-fidelity designs, iteration, and prototypes
Soft Skills: Flexibility, networking, making lists, identifying personal strengths, time management, responsibility, teamwork, written and communication skills

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?
I learned that the work I was doing was EXACTLY the career I want to go into post-grad! All of the technical skills I was able to learn were the exact skills I wanted to learn as a UX Designer. I learned that I wanted to build upon being the best designer possible and keep learning how to create meaningful, engaging, and creative experiences for humans. Post-grad, I will be working with The Home Depot as a UX Designer!

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?
Don’t give up, and look into industries you may not think you like. I never thought I would enjoy being in a machine/tool/retail industry, but this summer made me realize that it wasn’t the industry, but more so the work I was doing, the work culture, and the type of people I was working with. I LOVED my internship – and absolutely loved my team culture. Focus on perfecting your resume and interview skills, and you will excel! Don’t be shy to reach out to your connections and ask for help – you will be surprised how helpful your network can be! Apply to as many places as you can – you’ll never know which company stands out to you. Also, do your research into the company environment… you may love what you’re doing but hate company values; this is super important for your happiness and well-being!