Jacey Kennedy

Full name: Jacey Kennedy

Hometown: Lansing, Michigan

Major and Class Standing: Studio Art and Psychology, Senior

Internship Company/Organization Name: Reach Studio Art Center

Location of Internship: Lansing, Michigan

Program Type: Independent

I spent the summer as an Assistant Teaching Artist at Reach Studio Art Center. I was responsible for fostering a creative and healthy environment for artistic growth along with the lead Teaching Artists.

woman in white t-shirt and coral pants smiling at camera
Jacey Kennedy

My daily routine included a lot of conversations with students about their artistic process and aiding in preparing materials for projects. I heard about the organization from a friend and emailed their director with my resume and portfolio and expressed my passion for community growth through art. My favorite parts of the internship are the friends I’ve made and the beautiful learning moments I’ve seen students have. I learned a lot about non-profits and the way they run- and I feel deeply connected to the work Reach does. I learned massive amounts from each artist I worked with both about the creative process and classroom management. I advise that students looking for internships wait for their best fit if possible. I’m glad I took the time to sort through opportunities and found Reach.