Peter Morrison

Full name: Peter Morrison

Hometown: Kalamazoo, Michigan

Major and Class Standing: Interdisciplinary Humanities, Senior

Social Media Handle: Instagram: @ptrmrrsn

Internship Company/Organization Name: Youlosophy

Location of Internship: Remote

Program Type: Global Remote Internship Program

My academic advisor told me about the Global Remote Internship Program and encouraged me to apply. I was accepted into the program and worked with a liaison from a company called Connect-123. I was matched with my internship at Youlosophy based on my interests and preferences that I gave my liaison.

man with dark hair in plaid shirt smiling at camera
Peter Morrison

I was the “content writer/editor” for Youlosophy. During my internship, I focused on bettering my time management skills and worked towards being more of a self-starter. My schedule was six hours behind everyone else’s at my company, so being self-motivated helped me to complete my work in a reasonable time frame. My responsibilities were to edit existing works for grammar, spelling, clarity, and punctuation in British and American English, which also involved translating some texts before editing. I also wrote new content in English following the styling and direction of the works I had previously edited.  My favorite part of the internship was editing. The biggest project assigned to me was editing both existing and future books, so I quickly fell into the groove of being an editor and it brought me a huge sense of satisfaction. I did not like how disconnected I felt from others at my company. Youlosophy is a very small startup based in Spain with only one other intern working from France, so I never felt like I was part of a setting that offered the camaraderie I initially hoped for.

From this experience, I learned that freelance editing is something that I want to do in addition to another profession. While I did have a sense of satisfaction after completing a day’s work, I still found myself wanting more out of my professional life. My future plans involve moving to Chicago and working in the hospitality industry.

My advice for other students is to be firm in getting what you want out of your internship experience. Take interest in what you’re doing to make it worth your while to put in the time and effort for something greater than just fulfilling an academic requirement.