Suephia Saam

Hometown: Ann Arbor, MI

Major & Class Standing: Humanities Pre-law with a Concentration in Global Studies and Criminal Justice, Senior 

Social Media Handles: Instagram @cognitivedhlc 

Organization Name: Mellon Grant Foundation “Creativity in the Time of COVID-19: Art as a Tool for Combating Social Inequity and Injustice” Project Through Michigan States Digital Humanities & Literary Cognition lab. 

Location of Internship: Remote 

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?

I work with the communications/liaisons team. My main responsibilities included being an editor, implementing accessibility measures in social media efforts, strategizing community outreach and connecting with community partners, creating newsletters, social media campaigns, writing articles, creating style guides, etc. 

What did your daily routine include?

I attend various meetings throughout the week which include full grant team meetings, communication meetings, data team meetings, and personal/ strategy planning meetings with supervisors and team members. In these meetings we work towards website development, basic strategy sessions, collaborating with community partners, developing/pushing a global survey to collect data on how people coped with the Covid-19 pandemic, etc.  

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?

I contacted one of my professors asking if he knew of any opportunities within his field. He recommended me to the project and they contacted me asking if I would be interested in joining the team. 

What was your favorite part of the internship?

I love that I get to be a part of a team that works towards creating an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment. It feels empowering to be able to work alongside a group of people who care so much about one another and who work together towards the same goal. 

What was your least favorite part of the internship?

My least favorite part of the internship was having it be over zoom (although I understand the safety measures). 

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?

I learned how important it is for me to be a part of a team that values communication, collaboration, and honesty. I also learned that I enjoy working in social justice fields and want to pursue that in the future! 

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?

I learned a lot of new things during this internship. Some of these skills include Newsletter style writing, how to make style guides, how to build a resume, how to plan and run efficient meetings, how to reach out to community partners around the globe and strategize community outreach, how to promote a survey, how to develop a long term advertising plan, how to create a unique social media campaign, how to write press releases, how to develop and post on a website, etc. 

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?

One piece of advice is to make sure you choose to be a part of a team who has the same beliefs as you do, who will offer you opportunities based on your interests, and work with you to reach your own personal goals.