Junbin Ma

Hometown: Shenzhen, China

Major and class standing: Studio Art

Where you interned at: Shaanxi Jinggong Design & Decoration Engineering, Xi’an, China

What were your internship title and role/responsibilities?
The title for my internship is Art Promotion & Senior Designer Assistant. I was responsible for assisting senior designers in sorting out the design style and strategy, conducting daily management affairs with the department manager, and providing market development decision analysis to the organization through data modeling and analysis.

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?
I did research and found this internship on the LiePing website, then I sent my application online. I also called the company to ask about the internship and sent a self-promoting email to the company.

What did your daily routine include?
My daily work routine included joining daily meetings and reporting to my mentor and supervisor, assisting senior design for their project, doing weekly tasks assigned by my mentor.

What was your favorite experience from the internship?
Learning about the industry of decoration design and management. Coming up with great advice for future stylists and trends in interior design. Helping my colleagues with their leftover designing job and material choices.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?
Doing reports and learning about using programming tools to help for management data modeling and analysis and not always feeling comfortable around my colleagues.

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?
I was able to learn and strengthen from my colleagues through Power BI, Python, and R, and apply these applications independently and jointly for management data modeling and analysis. Now I have a deeper understanding of the management model, the business structure, and the strategy of the art design, as well.

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?

The experience led me to appreciate how to grow from a potential stock full of young designers to an empire with superior profitability through creative management and promotion. How management is indispensable for artists to learn. I would love to know more about how business models work and help artists in the design-related industry.

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?
Do not find an internship where you can only work at night, and I think it’s always better to get an in-person one. Reach out and do your best!