Olivia Morea

Hometown: Gilford, New Hampshire

Major: BFA Studio Art, Senior

Social media: Olivia_Morea, and oliviamoreaart

Internship: Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?
I was a gallery guide and an events intern! I worked in the museum from day to day helping guests and answering questions about the art. For facility rentals and museum events, I would assist with set up; throughout the event I would help guests and ensure that equipment was working; and then take down and clean up. I would also help design floor plans for different events based on their individual needs and I would assist in keeping tasks organized for each event.

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?
I had already been working at the museum as a gallery guide, but I didn’t want to give up this job to do an internship since I want to work in museums professionally. I worked with my supervisors and an advisor to work out extra tasks I could take on and what I could do to challenge myself in a museum setting.

What did your daily routine include?
My daily routine consisted of two pretty different kinds: Gallery support and Events. My regular gallery guide hours were all about being in the galleries and keeping the art safe, having conversations with the guests about the artwork, and keeping the museum clean and ready for guests. For events, most of my routine consisted of set up, helping throughout the event with check in and troubleshooting, and taking it down.

What was your favorite experience from the internship?
My favorite part of the internship was my interactions with guests. The conversations were very educational. I always felt like I learned something new from them and I hope they learned something from me.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?
My least favorite part of the internship was trying to get all my hours in. Covid really threw this off and it was difficult at times to get in hours with the new restrictions, a later start date, and when I got sick I really couldn’t come in.

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?
I learned a lot about how to interact with people. I think my people skills have greatly improved over the course of this internship. I also think my understanding of the inner workings of the museum has improved greatly, especially of events

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?
I think that this internship has really shown me that I am on the right career path. I am not sure if I want to work in events, but I do love working in museums. After I am done with undergrad I plan on pursuing a masters in arts and cultural management and museum studies.What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?
Take advantage of learning anything you can! your supervisors will have a lot to teach you and are very willing to help you! it’s also important to maintain these relationships you build since they can provide great connections and letters of recommendation in the future!