Alex Shterenberg

Hometown: Boston, MA

Major: Interdisciplinary Humanities

Social Media Handles: IG: @aalexshter TW: @aalexshter

Organization Name: YNK: You Know What I Mean? Podcast, Stevenson Ranch LLC

Location: Remote 

I was a social media and digital marketing intern, which means I was responsible for creating and publishing digital content that was released across numerous social media platforms. My daily routine included ongoing communication with my supervisor as we completed different projects. I utilized Adobe Premiere Pro to create small films for Mike, a multi-platinum recording music artist. I was also responsible for creating content for his social media pages, most often on TikTok.

I obtained my internship by applying to the organization directly through their email after seeing a post by the organization saying that they are looking for more individuals to join their team. To obtain the position, I provided my professional resume and completed a series of sample projects to present to the supervisor. 

My favorite part of the internship was being part of such a unique team that was motivated to progress on a daily basis. I was able to build so many connections in a field that I am truly passionate about and learn so much about content creation, digital media, professional writing, and marketing. 

My least favorite part of the internship was that it was remote. Oftentimes, I found myself wishing I could work with Mike in person, or be with the organization as they moved across cities. I think if I had been in person, it would have eased my transition into the position and improved any communication issues.

One of the biggest things I learned about this industry is that it is constantly changing. Every week, we were shifting gears to new projects and finding new avenues of approach for existing challenges. In the future, I hope to join this organization full-time and secure my position as Head Social Media Coordinator.

While I learned many technical skills, such as becoming proficient in editing programs like Adobe Premiere Pro, a major skill I gained through this internship was the ability to be dynamic and adapt to change. I was constantly being challenged with new tasks to perform and was adapting to valuable feedback I received on my work. 

A vital piece of advice I can offer for students seeking internship opportunities is to have an approach of open-mindedness. When I began my internship, I was nervous because I didn’t know what to expect in regard to my daily responsibilities. Keeping an open mind allowed me to have experiences of working on a variety of projects, and brought me skills that I wouldn’t have gained if my mind was focused on only working on one project or in one skill area for the organization.