Edith Saavedra

Hometown: Monte Alto, TX

Major and class standing: Humanities Pre-Law, Women & Gender Studies

Where you interned at: UFW Foundation, Michigan

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?

I was initially hired as an intern for the position of Emergency Relief Organizer Assistant; halfway through the semester, I was hired as a part-time employee with the UFW Foundation for the role of Immigration Outreach Assistant. My roles included but were not limited to petitioning, coordinating farmworker appreciation events, building relationships with farmworkers throughout the state, and educating them on their labor rights. Through these relationships, I was able to collect surveys and testimonies that are useful in bringing light to the farmworker struggle. My role also allowed me to engage with policymakers and travel to DC to advocate for legalization for the farmworker community.

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?

I was able to obtain my internship thanks to the National Migrant Scholars Internship Initiative (NMSI) at Migrant Student Services in MSU. The internship required someone with knowledge of the farmworker community and their struggles, so I used my background and knowledge as a former farmworker, as well as the resources offered to me as a College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP) scholar to secure my internship.

What did your daily routine include?

When I wasn’t doing outreach with my supervisor or helping plan events, my routine typically consisted of contacting farmworkers in the evenings. I would contact them for several reasons, such as collecting surveys and testimonies, asking them to call back, asking to join legislative meetings, etc.

Your favorite experience from the internship?

My favorite experience is having been able to participate in events with our partner organizations in the We Are Home coalition. In these coalition events, I was given the opportunity to advocate and share testimonies on behalf of our farm workers.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?

My least favorite part was having to come out of my shell, although, I’m glad I did. Grassroot work isn’t for everybody and it takes a certain kind of individual to constantly be motivated, inspire others, and be able to brush off rejection.

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?

I learned to be more verbal and further develop my communication and social skills. This internship also gave me the opportunity to practice and improve my Spanish.

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship?

I’ve learned that activism is very demanding, especially when it has to do with advocating for people’s lives. A person has to be truly passionate and selfless when doing this line of work.