Helena Rowland

Hometown: Rochester, MI
Major and class standing English/P2W, Junior
Where you interned: ASCENDtials

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?
I was a Copy Editing Intern at ASCENDtials. I was in charge of editing and writing grants, editing social media posts, writing emails to try and establish a collaboration with companies with the same mission as us, and just overall being another set of eyes for any kind of documentation we sent out or produced.

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?
I heard about the internship from one of my professors and applied via Handshake.

What did your daily routine include?
Monday-Wed was meetings, every day consisted of editing documents and answering emails.

Your favorite experience from the internship?
my favorite experience was after I wrote my first collaboration email. The amount of praise and appreciation I received for something that was so small but official within my job really secured my feeling of security in my career path.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?
my least favorite part of my internship was writing grants. We usually were under a time crunch, so they always made me anxious to complete.

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?
I learned a lot about writing large-scale documents. Grant writing was something I was not at all familiar with grants or how to write one, so this was definitely a learning curve for me.

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?
I learned a lot about how to collaborate with others on projects and how to speak up for myself in professional contexts. My future plans are to be an Editor or a Copy Editor in a publishing house, but i would be open to doing this kind of editing as well.

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?
my advice is to keep trying even if you don’t hear anything. I had been applying to internships for about a year before I heard anything from employers, and this one was definitely worth the wait.