Zhanna Yakubova

Hometown: Moscow, Russia
Major and class standing: Acting & Linguistics, Sophomore
Where you interned at: Observatorio Social, Buenos Aires, Argentina

What was your internship title and role/responsibilities?
Social Media and Graphic Design Intern

How did you obtain your internship? What resources did you utilize to secure your internship?
First, I went to the Study Abroad fair in Breslin and I researched the programs online. Then, I applied to the “Internships in Argentina” program, and I had my interviews with MSU and Connect-123.

What did your daily routine include?
Having breakfast with another girl from the program, we would make our own food or the family would make us something. Then we would go to work, we would take the bus around 9 a.m. At the office, I would go over my daily tasks, I worked with a 22-year-old girl named Jazmin. She understood some English, so she would help me find the right words in Spanish if I was struggling. At 2 p.m. my shift ended, and I would go to explore the city.

Your favorite experience from the internship?
It is truly challenging to choose only one experience from my internship in Argentina, but I think the most remarkable one was Bariloche. My friends from the program and I went to the south of Argentina for a weekend. The views of the mountains were breathtaking and the chocolate was delicious.

What was your least favorite part of the internship?
My least favorite part was when I had to come back to Michigan.

What skills did you learn and/or build upon during your internship?
I learned so much Spanish, especially Argentinian Spanish, that is not taught in America.
I also got to learn how to make animations, design website prototypes, and other graphic design skills that are useful in the real world.

What did you learn about the industry or your career path as a result of the internship? What are your future plans?
I learned about the dynamic of working in the office, as well as the struggles of being a designer and having to edit the same file over 20 times.

What advice do you have for other students seeking out internship opportunities?
Stay in the moment, enjoy each day, don’t be afraid to speak, and bring warm clothes if you are going to Argentina in the summer.