Rachel Gignac

Full name: Rachel Gignac

Hometown: Tinley Park, Illinois

Major and Class Standing: Professional Writing major, Graphic Design minor, Senior

Social Media Handle: Instagram: @rachel_gnac

Internship Company/Organization Name: Publishing ByChelle

Location of Internship: Remote

Program Type: Global Remote Internship Program 

I was an editorial assistant at Publishing ByChelle, an Australian company that publishes in-flight travel magazines and digital content. My responsibilities included researching, writing, and implementing SEO in feature stories for the company’s website. I also edited stories in WordPress and maintained the company’s Instagram by designing and scheduling posts. My daily routine usually consisted of doing research for my next feature article and drafting posts in Buffer for social media.

I came across the Global Remote Internship program while I was browsing through an Excel Network Career Community email. After applying, I met with Dan Meier. He accepted me into the program and helped me prepare for meeting with CAPA and my employer.

black and white photo of woman with dark hair smiling at camera
Rachel Gignac

My favorite aspect of this internship was the company I was paired with. CAPA did a great job connecting me with Publishing ByChelle because it fit my interests so well. I got to strengthen my publishing skills while working for a travel company. While I loved learning and writing about Australia, it made me wish I could travel there, but I couldn’t!

From my internship, I learned that editing and publishing is the career path that I want to continue with. I am graduating in spring 2021 and currently looking for full-time work. I gained more experience in things I already had some knowledge with, like writing, editing, and social media. I also learned new skills that will be very beneficial for me going forward, like SEO and WordPress. On top of all that, the semester of remote professional work prepared me for any future remote work.

My advice is to reach out to anyone that can be of help, apply to everything you’re interested in, and don’t give up! Also, actively pay attention to the Excel Network because they are very helpful!